Dog bites are a serious problem in the United States. Every year, millions of people are bitten dogs, and many of those bites require medical attention. If you or someone you love has been bitten a dog, there are a few things you should do:
- Seek medical attention immediately. Even /www.newtownkennelclub.org/ if the bite seems minor, it is important to see a doctor to get checked out. Dog bites can carry bacteria and viruses that can cause infection.
- Report the bite to the local animal control agency. This will help to ensure that the dog is quarantined and tested for rabies.
- If possible, identify the owner of the dog. This will be important if you decide to file a personal injury claim.
- Keep a record of your injuries and medical expenses. This will be helpful if you do decide to file a personal injury claim.
When to hire a lawyer
There are a few situations in which you should definitely hire a lawyer after being bitten a dog:
- If you have suffered serious injuries, such as a broken bone, head injury, or infection.
- If the dog owner was negligent in causing the bite. For example, if the dog owner knew that the dog was aggressive but failed to take steps to prevent it from biting, they may be liable for your injuries.
- If the insurance company is refusing to offer you a fair settlement. Insurance companies are often quick to lowball dog bite victims. An attorney can help you negotiate a fair settlement on your behalf.
If you are unsure whether or not you should hire a lawyer, it is always best to err on the side of caution and schedule a free consultation. Most dog bite attorneys offer free consultations, so you have nothing to lose speaking with one.
How to choose a dog bite lawyer
When choosing a dog bite lawyer, it is important to consider the following factors:
- Experience: Choose a lawyer who has experience handling dog bite cases.
- Reputation: Ask for recommendations from friends, family, or colleagues.
- Communication style: Make sure you feel comfortable communicating with the lawyer and that you trust them to represent you.
- Fees: Discuss the lawyer’s fees upfront.
Dog bites can be a traumatic experience, both physically and emotionally. If you have been bitten a dog, it is important to know your legal rights and options. An attorney can help you get the compensation you deserve for your injuries and losses.